What is Brief Encounters?
The concept of Brief Encounters is to publish a series of short stories set within the Doctor Who universe that feature classic Doctor/Companion pairings from the original television series (up to Survival), and also from the ongoing adventures of the Eighth and Ninth incarnations as published by TDWP. (This means you can use TV doctors 1-7 and TDWP doctors 8-9.)
Each Brief Encounters short story will be published as each individual short story is completed by the author. To date we have published 4 such stories featuring the second, third and sixth Doctor, which can be found on the TDWP site under "Brief Encounters" in the Seasons section.
- Stories must be original whilst also fitting within established original (1963-89) television series continuity.
- The stories will be around 5,000 words in length.
- The use of established enemies/monsters should try to be avoided. We would rather have exiting new characters and monsters featuring in the stories rather than using established ones. However, that is not to say we won't feature a short story using one of the classic series monsters.
Interested in contributing?
If you are interested in contributing to TDWP: Brief Encounters then please send an outline of your story idea to the main TDWP email address.
Submissions should contain the following:
- Indicate which incarnation of the Doctor and companion that the story features.
- Details of any key characters/monsters to appear.
- A brief synopsis/outline of the story.
- Proposals should be attached to an email in a MS Word or Rich Text Format document.
- Proposals should include your full name and email contact.
- Tell us a bit about yourself. Include a short bio about yourself.
- If this is the first time you are submitting a story proposal, please include one or two samples of your previously written work.
If you have any questions regarding the above, or would like further information, please feel free to contact us.